Home | Poem | Jokes | Games | Science | Biography | Celibrity Video | বাংলা


Culturebox: To Sip, Perchance To Dream

Slate Magazine
Now playing: Slate V, a video-only site from the world's leading online magazine. Visit Slate V at www.slatev.com.
shopping
To Sip, Perchance To Dream
Testing out "relaxation beverages" like Drank and iChill.
By Noreen Malone
Posted Tuesday, Nov. 2, 2010, at 10:32 AM ET

The Slow Cow relaxation beverage. Once upon a time--July--I could sink easily and immediately into eight hours of sleep. I listened smugly as friends and co-workers complained of their Tylenol-PM addictions. Then I moved from a quiet, tucked-away corner of New York City--yes, such a place exists--to a street-level apartment not far from the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway. I developed an irrational fear of bedbugs, began fretting more about work, and passed a birthday that seemed to mark the expiration date for my once-reliable ability to fall asleep shortly after guzzling coffee. Traditional sleeping pills seemed too extreme, even the over-the-counter kind; I just needed to calm down a bit. So when I heard about a new category of drinks called "relaxation beverages"--essentially, the inverse of Red Bull--I decided to test out a few. I even saw some romance in the idea--after all, Rip van Winkle didn't drowse off after an Ambien or two. Medea didn't lug a really excellent SoundSpa relaxation machine with her when she and Jason were going after that golden fleece. Harry Potter didn't nosh on a tryptophan-heavy meal after he saw Lord Voldemort. A sleeping potion, as I began to think of these liquids, seemed the way to fix my problem with panache.

My experiment wasn't scientifically rigorous (pretty sure I laid the groundwork for that disclaimer the moment I dropped the phrase "sleeping potion"), but it was, at least, consistent. I tried each beverage once at the same time of night (about an hour before my 11:30 bedtime), got a similar amount of exercise each day, and set my alarm for the same time the next morning--the stuff of fairy tales.

To continue reading, click here.

Noreen Malone is a Slate contributor. Follow her on Twitter.

Join the Fray: our reader discussion forum
What did you think of this article?
POST A MESSAGE | READ MESSAGES

Also In Slate

Meet the Scapegoats Democrats Will Blame for Their Midterm Defeats


Why Do Tea Party Activists Capitalize So Many of Their Nouns?


Harry Reid: Why Republicans Are Voting for Me

Advertisement


Manage your newsletters on Slate Unsubscribe | Newsletter Center | Advertising Information
Please do not reply to this message since this is an unmonitored e-mail address. If you have questions about newsletters, please go here.


Ideas on how to make something better? Send an e-mail to newsletters@slate.com.

Copyright 2010 Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive Co. LLC | Privacy Policy
Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive | c/o E-mail Customer Care | 1150 15th Street NW | Washington, D.C. 20071


No comments: