Home | Poem | Jokes | Games | Science | Biography | Celibrity Video | বাংলা


Culturebox: Don't Let the Bedbugs Fright

Slate Magazine
Now playing: Slate V, a video-only site from the world's leading online magazine. Visit Slate V at www.slatev.com.
Science
Don't Let the Bedbugs Fright
False alarms can be just as bad as the real thing.
By Eliza Barclay
Posted Monday, Sept. 13, 2010, at 10:04 AM ET

Bed bug fumigation. Click image to expand.In September 2009, a small population of bedbugs gulped my blood and took sanctuary in my mattress. For a few weeks, I endured ferociously itchy bites and prepared for the trio of invasive chemical treatments that would rid them from my home. When the pest management technician finished his work, he warned me that even though the bedbugs were gone for now, they might be waiting to relaunch their invasion from the neighbors' place. A friend at the health department had the same advice: I should always be on guard for a resurrection.

On two separate occasions, both months after the original plague, I came very close to hiring an exterminator once again. The appearances of a strange bug near my bed, and then a smattering of unexplained bites, led me to consider dousing my home with chemicals at great expense. But I never did spend that money, nor did I suffer the same blazing blisters I'd had last fall. Yet the considerable anxiety and angst I felt during these false alarms easily matched the effects of the real thing: hours and hours spent brooding over where they might have come from, pacing the house, and cursing violently.

To continue reading, click here.

Eliza Barclay is a writer in Washington, D.C.

Join the Fray: our reader discussion forum
What did you think of this article?
POST A MESSAGE | READ MESSAGES

Also In Slate

The Tea Party Is Making Plans for Its Takeover of the House


Why Are Scientists So Obsessed With the Behaviors of Ovulating Women?


Does Obama Actually Do Any of His Work in the Oval Office?

Advertisement


Manage your newsletters on Slate Unsubscribe | Newsletter Center | Advertising Information
Please do not reply to this message since this is an unmonitored e-mail address. If you have questions about newsletters, please go here.


Ideas on how to make something better? Send an e-mail to newsletters@slate.com.

Copyright 2010 Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive Co. LLC | Privacy Policy
Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive | c/o E-mail Customer Care | 1150 15th Street NW | Washington, D.C. 20071


No comments: