Home | Poem | Jokes | Games | Science | Biography | Celibrity Video | বাংলা


Culturebox: My Year in Waxing School

Slate Magazine
Now playing: Slate V, a video-only site from the world's leading online magazine. Visit Slate V at www.slatev.com.
doublex
My Year in Waxing School
Naked people don't tip well, and more tricks of the trade.
By Virginia Sole-Smith
Posted Friday, Nov. 19, 2010, at 12:08 PM ET

Illustration by Rob Donnelly. Click image to expand.The 38th client I worked on at Beauty U. was my first full Brazilian wax--the kind where you remove all (or almost all) of your hair below the belt. I'd waxed many bikini lines and other body parts. I'd also assisted on Brazilians, handing my teachers wax-dipped Popsicle sticks the way nurses hand over scalpels. But now, it was my turn to wield the wax, solo. "I know--I'm a hairy beast!" Client 38 apologized, hopping onto the waxing table, clad in disposable thong. "You have to fix me. I'm going on vacation with my boyfriend."

She spread her legs. I put on some vinyl gloves and worked down and across her pelvis, twirling clumps of hair and trimming them free. You have to trim any hair longer than eyebrow-length to prevent "locking" with the wax. You also have to act like this is normal, even though a part of your brain is thinking, "Pubic hair, pubic hair, oh my God, pubic hair." But I was getting better at trimming, and also at acting. And so clouds of hair piled up on the paper-covered table while 38 chatted about her vacation plans (the Poconos; if she was lucky, a proposal), her C-section scar, and how she liked my red glasses.

To continue reading, click here.

Virginia Sole-Smith is a freelance writer and author of the blog Beauty Schooled. Her work has appeared in more than 45 national publications, including Parents, The Progressive, and the New York Times.

Join the Fray: our reader discussion forum
What did you think of this article?
POST A MESSAGE | READ MESSAGES

Also In Slate

It Took Five Years To Convict the 1998 Embassy Bomber. That's a "Speedy Trial"?


Noah: We Need More Tax Brackets, Not Fewer


Americans Don't Really Want To Cut the Deficit. Why Are Republicans So Excited To Do It, Then?

Advertisement


Manage your newsletters on Slate Unsubscribe | Newsletter Center | Advertising Information
Please do not reply to this message since this is an unmonitored e-mail address. If you have questions about newsletters, please go here.


Ideas on how to make something better? Send an e-mail to newsletters@slate.com.

Copyright 2010 Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive Co. LLC | Privacy Policy
Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive | c/o E-mail Customer Care | 1150 15th Street NW | Washington, D.C. 20071


No comments: